Sunday 1 July 2012

Happy Canada Day!

July 1st is Canada Day, a holiday traditionally – ritually – celebrated in my house by inviting friends to visit dressed in vaguely Canadian outfits and eat vaguely Canadian food, whilst drinking beer that's as close to Canadian as we can get from our local Tesco. There's no particular reason for this – our household is about as Canadian as Yorkshire pudding, but any excuse to don my "ironic" Celine Dion tour T-shirt...


So, as I celebrate with Celine, here's a list of five things you can blame/praise Canada for:


RYAN GOSLINGHottest man on the planet? Maybe... y'know, if you have EYES. Also, Canadian.
(picture courtesy of Typographer Ryan Gosling - check it out, font nerds!)


THE CANADA GOOSENo, not an antecedent of Mr Gosling, but those black-hooded, big-winged birds that decorate the sky with pretty flying-V formations. 


DUE SOUTHAccording to the Catnipper's daddy everyone likes the TV series Due South, so, by definition, you must. Even if you haven't seen it.


CANADA DRYThis was the only soft drink available in my grandparents' house circa 1987. As far as I'm concerned it is best appreciated when lapped from a saucer to the opening chords of The Archers whilst pretending to be a cat. Go on, try it...



Last but not least...


SCAREDY SQUIRRELCatnip's very own, very special Canadian import is definitely the best thing to come out of Canada since, well... all the above.


I hope I haven't missed out your favourite Canadian thing? If so, feel free to share the love in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have my own Scaredy Squirrel to live with me. He is awesome. He could help me with my fear of unicorns and we could play dead together.

    All of the above also applies to Ryan Gosling.

    And I have never lapped Canada Dry to the sound of The Archers, but that's only because the idea has only just been put in my head. My friend once got her mum to get her a bone from the butchers so she could pretend to be a dog - is that the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend sounds enterprising... I wonder if she actually ate the bone?

    I have to say, that whilst playing dead with Scaredy would be fun, I'm not sure that's the best use of a Ryan Gosling.

    ReplyDelete